If your house appears worn out or dull, then a fresh coat of paint on its exterior can be the best way to uplift its overall appearance. Also, it gives an elegant and wholesome look.
Often, a house’s paint gets disintegrated or peeled off due to harsh weather conditions or long years of not being able to maintain it sufficiently. During such times, painting the home becomes desirability and a necessity.
However, most people hesitate to take the step because they do not know the exact time taken to complete the process of painting a house. This article aims to answer this question – how long does it take to paint the exterior of a house?
First, we will examine some factors that influence the time taken to paint the house. Next, let’s look at the approximate time and steps to paint the exterior of your abode.
The factors that influence the time taken to paint the house
- Size of the house – the most important factor considered while painting a house is its overall size. The larger the dwelling size, the greater its time to paint its exteriors. For example, homes with four or fewer bedrooms could take up to 3-4 days to finish the entire process, whereas houses with more than five bedrooms could take 5 – 6 days.
- The number of painters – the number of people working on painting your home can also be an essential determinant in the total number of days taken for painting the entire house. The larger the number of painters working, the lesser the time taken to finish painting. For example, if 4 painters are working in the house, the painting process can take around two days compared to when two painters are working on painting the house. In the latter, the entire process can go up to 4-5 days. So, it can be beneficial to hire a more significant number of painters to finish the work in a shorter period.
- Experience of the painters – In simple words, if there is a crew of experienced painters working in your house. The painting can be done in 2 days, at max. However, if you are someone who prefers to paint your house yourself, or if you have hired an amateur painter to do it, then the process can take up to a week or two, depending on the efficiency. However, it is advisable to hire a professional to do the task, as painting a dwelling is a delicate job requiring expertise.
- Climate conditions – Lastly, if you are residing in an area prone to harsh weather conditions like heavy rains or storms, it is advisable to check the weather forecast before starting the process of painting your abode. This can seriously hamper and delay the whole process by weeks. Make sure to start the painting process in a sunny or dry climate to have a smoother experience for painting.
Next, let’s take a glance at the main steps involved in painting a house and the estimated time it can take to accomplish each step.
Steps that should be taken to paint the exteriors of a house
You need to carefully follow three significant steps in sequential order to get the best results.
- Tidying up – The first step of painting the exteriors of your dwelling is to do the cleaning process. It involves eliminating all the grime, dust, pollutants, grease, and peeled-off paint. Furthermore, washing of the siding should also be done correctly. Doing this step should not be neglected at any cost, as it ensures the proper adherence of paint and its longevity. This step can take around a day or so.
- Preparation stage – The preparation stage is one of the essential stages of painting your house. It involves getting the woodwork done or conducting stripping, also known as priming. The loose paint or the extras are removed. Items that are not going to be painted are protected, and the surface of the exteriors are prepared appropriately for applying the fresh coat of paint. This step can take around two days for an average-sized house but might be extended by a week if your dwelling is large.
- Painting the house – The final step involves painting the exteriors of a house using the correct types of equipment and procedure. In the case of a professional, experienced painter, this final step could take around 2 to 3 days. However, if you decide to do it yourself or hire an amateur painter, this step could take much longer to be completed. The duration can be approximately somewhere between 1-2 weeks, depending upon the size of the house.
When you follow all these steps accurately, the paint can last up to eight years. But that would hold as long as you use proper apparatus and techniques. However, the longevity of the exterior paint depends on the home conditions and external circumstances. Therefore, it is essential to ensure that the paint used is of superior quality and that the preparation stage is not neglected. This is the crucial stage. Painting your house requires professional and creative skills and hence, must be done by a professional only if the budget allows.
As you can see, painting an exterior of a house can take 3 to 4 days, from end to end. This is the case if the house is relatively small, i.e., two to three bedrooms. For comparatively larger houses, i.e., more than four to five bedrooms, it can take up to 5 to 6 days. The number of days widely depends on many factors. Some of the significant factors determining the painting duration are
- the size of the house,
- the number of painters,
- and their overall efficiency and capability.
Painting the house at least once in 5 years is recommended. It enhances longevity and beautifies the house to a large extent. Furthermore, it repairs the unseen damages, adds to the visual appeal, and even protects the exterior walls of your house from adverse environmental contaminants.